Sunday, October 18, 2009

Week 2 – Gay and Lesbian Families – Marriage and Adoption

By Lisa Vise, Emma Rhodes, Kimberly Wabik, Cassidy Freed, Jacqueline Trabish

This week our group is going to cover the topic of homosexual families and various issues that come with being part of a same-sex headed family. The “nature of the American Family” has changed dramatically over the last century and even more so in recent years. The concept of the gay family is still very controversial and in flux. Throughout the week we will discuss a variety of topics pertaining to gay families including:

Day 1- Introduction to gay marriage
Day 2 – Introduction to gay adoption
Day 3 - Legislation and reform
Day 4 – Opposition and stereotypes
Day 5 – Celebrity Stories
Day 6 – Additional Current Events
Day 7 – Recap and summary

Before reading the blog, consider your own views on gay marriage and adoption.
1. Do you know anyone who is currently part of a same-sex family?
2. If so, how did this shape your opinion?

1 comment:

  1. When I was in kindergarden my best friend had two moms. Being 5 years old at the time I didn't think anything of it at first. I simply assumed that they were two best friends living together. This view did not change until one day I noticed a note that one of his moms had left for the other. At the bottom it said, "I love you" and I remember feeling very confused by it. Later I went home and asked my mom about it and she explained that sometimes two women or two men fall in love just like a man and a woman fall in love. Since I became familiar with the idea at such a young age and have been exposed to it frequently since, I am very comfortable with the idea of a same-sex headed family. I have known many kids that have been raised by two moms or two dads and they have turned out no different than kids raised with a mother and a father.

    -Emma Rhodes

    ReplyDelete